The College of Dentistry participates with the University Scholars Program (USP) to provide research opportunities for UF undergraduate junior and senior students. Students who are selected will work with a UFCD faculty mentor while working on a research project. The USP process is selective; participants must adhere to programmatic requirements for both the USP and UFCD.
College of Dentistry Requirements for USP Participants
|Eligibility and Nominations:|
|Undergraduate students from any college, wanting to conduct research with a faculty member in the College of Dentistry are eligible to compete for a University Scholars Program award. An overall GPA of 3.0 (or above) is required. In addition, in order to be eligible, you must not earn your bachelor’s degree before Spring 2022. Students may contact a faculty member to conduct research, utilizing the following list: Faculty Research Interests, and complete the 2021-2022 USP Application form.
Completed applications are due no later than February 19, 2021. Submit application packets to the College of Dentistry’s Office of Research, via Denise Webb, room D3-43. Phone: 352-294-5444. Fax: 352-294-5441.
Include in the packets:
• Completed University Scholars application form
• Typed summary of proposed research project (maximum one page – a hard and electronic copy)
• Supporting letter from the faculty mentor.
• Official, unopened copy of the student’s undergraduate transcripts, including a cumulative GPA
• If applicant’s official transcript shows senior status, a statement needs to be provided stating they are not earning their bachelor’s degree before Spring 2022 and can participate in the College of Dentistry’s Spring Symposium.
Course numbers are as follows:
• For a Biology major in CLAS or CALS, register for BSC4910
• For a Microbiology majors in CLAS will need to register for MCB4911.
|Registration for Classes|
|If students in the University Scholars Program want to receive credit toward their degree for their independent research, they should consult with the academic advisor(s) in their cognate college/major and obtain the approval of their UF College of Dentistry mentor, including written agreement on time commitment and credit hours. Their academic advisor can then register them for BSC4910 or MCB4911.|
|The College of Dentistry grants five awards. The College of Dentistry’s Research Committee and the Associate Dean for Research select the awardees. The student/faculty mentor shall be notified of the selection by March, 2021.|
|Expectations and Requirements during the University Scholars Program|
|Students begin their research at the onset of the 2021 summer term. Prior to submitting an application, an exact time commitment should be discussed with students’ mentors . Research is conducted for the entire summer term, continuing throughout the 2021-2022 academic year. The College of Dentistry offers a 1-3 hour general topics course (IDH4905) during the summer, while working on the scholars’ project. Students may register for this course in the College of Dentistry’s Office of Education: 352-273-5950, D3-011.
Students are required to:
• Attend a mandatory orientation session at the Undergraduate Research Symposium in April 2021,
• Complete the online profile and project description form and have a photo taken, per the USP program,
• Be in good standing to receive the second portion of the stipend in late September, (good standing is defined as all profile information and a positive progress report from the faculty mentor),
• Maintain a current e-mail account and be informed about updates for the USP on that e-mail account, and
• Complete all requirements for both the College of Dentistry and the UF Scholars Program; requirements set by the college are in addition to those required by the UF Scholars Program.