University Scholars Program
2017-2018 University Scholars Program
The College of Dentistry participates with the University Scholars Program (USP) to provide research opportunities for UF undergraduate students. Students selected work with a UFCD faculty mentor while working on a research project. The USP process is selective; participants must adhere to programmatic requirements for both the USP and UFCD.
Visit the USP website for more information: http://www.scholars.ufl.edu/
College of Dentistry Requirements for USP Participants
Eligibility and Nominations
Undergraduate students from any college, wanting to conduct research with a faculty member in the College of Dentistry are eligible to compete for a University Scholars Program award. An overall GPA of 3.0 or better is required nor have earned their bachelor’s degree prior to Spring 2017. Students may contact a faculty member, with whom they would like to conduct research, utilizing the following list: Faculty Research Interest, and must complete the 2017-2018 University Scholars Program application form.
Applications for students are to be completed up to, but no later than February 21, 2017. Application packets should be submitted to the College of Dentistry’s Office of Research, via Denise Webb in room D3-43.
Denise Webb’s Contact Info
Phone: 352-294-5444 Fax: 352-294-5441
Packets must include:
- Completed University Scholars application form
- A typed summary of proposed research project (maximum one page; a hard and electronic copy)
- A supporting letter from the faculty mentor
- An official copy of the student’s undergraduate transcripts, including a cumulative GPA
- If the applicant’s official transcript shows senior status, a statement needs to be provided stating they will not earn their bachelor’s degree before Spring 2018 and participate in the 2018 Spring Symposium.
The College of Dentistry grants five awards. Awardees will be selected by the College of Dentistry’s Research Committee and the Associate Dean for Research. The student and faculty mentor will be notified of the selection by March, 2017.
Expectations and Requirements during the University Scholars Program
Students begin their research at the start of the 2017 summer semester; an exact time commitment should be discussed with student mentors prior to submitting an application. Research is conducted for the entire summer semester, and continues throughout the 2017-2018 academic year. The College of Dentistry offers a 1-3 hour general topics course (IDH4905) during the summer, while working on the scholars’ project. Students may register for this course in the College of Dentistry’s Office of Education: 352-273-5950, D3-011.
- complete the online profile and project description form at http://www.scholars.ufl.edu/ and have their photo taken, as required by the USP program,
- be in good standing to receive the second portion of the stipend in late September; i.e., good standing is defined as: all profile information and a positive progress report from the faculty mentor,
- maintain a current e-mail account and be informed about updates for the USP on that e-mail account, and
- complete all requirements for both the College of Dentistry and the UF Scholars Program; requirements set by the college are in addition to those required by the UF Scholars Program.
- Office of Research (352) 294-5444
- email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Participating Faculty Members
- University Scholars Program.