University Scholars Program
2016-2017 University Scholars Program
The College of Dentistry participates with the University Scholars Program (USP) to provide research opportunities for UF undergraduate students. Students selected work with a UFCD faculty mentor while working on a research project. The USP process is selective; participants must adhere to programmatic requirements for both the USP and College of Dentistry.
Visit the USP website for more information and the application: http://www.scholars.ufl.edu/
College of Dentistry Requirements for USP Participants
Eligibility and Nominations
Undergraduate students from any college, wanting to conduct research with a faculty member in the College of Dentistry are eligible to compete for a University Scholars Program award. An overall GPA of 3.0 or better is required nor have earned their bachelor’s degree prior to Spring 2017. Students may contact a faculty member, with whom they would like to conduct research; a list of faculty research interest may be found in a table appearing on this page. Students need to complete the 2016-2017 University Scholars Program application form.
Applications for students are to be completed up to, but no later than February 5, 2016. Application packets should be submitted to the College of Dentistry’s Office of Research, via Denise Webb in room D3-43.
Denise Webb’s Contact Info
Phone: 352-294-5444 Fax: 352-294-5441
Packets must include:
- Completed University Scholars application form
- A typed summary of proposed research project (maximum one page; a hard and electronic copy)
- A supporting letter from the faculty mentor
- An official copy of the student’s undergraduate transcripts, including a cumulative GPA
- If the applicant’s official transcript shows senior status, a statement needs to be provided stating they will not earn their bachelor’s degree before Spring 2017 and participate in the 2017 Spring Symposium.
Five College of Dentistry awards will be given. Awardees will be selected by the College of Dentistry’s Research Committee and the Associate Dean for Research. The student and faculty mentor will be notified of the selection by March, 2016.
Expectations and Requirements during the University Scholars Program
Students must begin their research at the start of the 2016 summer semester (an exact time commitment should be discussed with student mentors prior to submitting an application). Research must be conducted for the entire summer semester, and must continue throughout the 2016-2017 academic year. The College of Dentistry offers a 1-3 hour general topics (IDH4905) course during the summer while working on their scholars’ project. Students may register for this course in the College of Dentistry’s Office of Education (273-5950, D3-011, Dental Tower).
- Students must complete the online profile and project description form at http://www.scholars.ufl.edu/ and have their photo taken, as required by the USP program.
- Students must be in good standing to receive the second portion of the stipend in late September. To be in good standing, the USP program should have all profile information and a positive progress report from the faculty mentor.
- Students must maintain a current e-mail account and be informed about updates for the USP on that e-mail account.
- Students must complete all requirements for both the College of Dentistry and the UF Scholars Program. Any requirements set by the college are in addition to those required by the UF Scholars Program.
Questions? Please contact:
- Office of Research (352) 294-5444
- email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Participating Faculty Members
- University Scholars Program.