Research Honors & High Research Honors Awards
Senior dental students who have engaged in research during their four-year DMD program may be eligible for one of two Research Honors awards. Eligibility requirements:
- the student must have contributed substantively to a research project during their tenure in dental school, and
- fulfill all the requirements outlined below.
Students who meet the criteria for Research Honors may be eligible for High Research Honors by UFCD’s Research Committee, by displaying an extraordinary commitment to research and an unusually high degree of productivity and independence on their research project(s).
The Research Committee has established the following criteria for eligibility for Research Honors:
- Students do not have to participate in the Research Track program to be eligible to receive either Research Honors awards. If a student is found liable for a violation of the Student Honor Code of UFCD, involving academic dishonesty or resulting in probation or suspension is ineligible to apply for Research Honors.
- Students wanting to be considered for Research Honors must provide a copy of a published article or a manuscript to be submitted to a scientific journal, and to the Associate Dean for Research prior to March 15th, of the year of graduation. If a specific journal has yet to be identified, the format of the manuscript should comply with the Vancouver system. Although not a requirement for the award, prior presentation of the research by the candidate at a scientific meeting is desirable.
- With the manuscript, the candidate must also submit a letter which clearly states: a) who supervised the project, b) an approximation of the total time devoted to the project, and c) whether the research idea originated with the candidate or the supervisor.
- The role the candidate played in the performance of the project should be clearly articulated in the letter, including what role the student had in writing of the paper.
- The student’s faculty mentor should submit a separate letter in support of the application.
- In addition to the submitted documents, the Research Committee will interview the mentor and the candidate as soon as possible after the March 31 deadline. Each student approved for Research Honors, by the Research Committee will be recognized at the Senior Awards banquet and recognized in the commencement program.