University Scholars Program
2015-2016 University Scholars Program
The College of Dentistry participates with the University Scholars Program (USP) in order to provide research opportunities to UF undergraduate students. Students selected to participate in the program will work with a UFCD faculty mentor and conduct a full project. This USP process is selective; and participants must adhere to programmatic requirements for both the USP and College of Dentistry.
Visit the USP website for more information and the application form: http://www.scholars.ufl.edu/
College of Dentistry Requirements for USP Participants
Student Awardees of 2014
Eligibility and Nominations
Undergraduate students from any College who wish to conduct research with a faculty member in the College of Dentistry are eligible to compete for a University Scholars Program award as long as they have maintained an overall GPA of 3.0 or better and must not earn their bachelor’s degree before Spring 2016. Students may contact a faculty member with whom they would like to conduct research; a list of faculty research interest may be found in a table appearing on this page. Students must then complete the 2015-2016 University Scholars Program application form.
The College of Dentistry will accept applications for students up to but not later than February 5, 2015. Application packets should be submitted to the College of Dentistry’s Office of Research, to Denise Webb in room D3-43.
Denise Webb’s Contact Info
Phone: 352-294-5444 Fax: 352-294-5441
These packets must include:
• Completed University Scholars application form.
• A typed summary of your proposed research project, maximum one page (both a hard copy and an electronic copy).
• A supporting letter from the faculty mentor.
• An official copy of the student’s undergraduate transcripts, including a cumulative GPA.
• If the applicant’s official transcript shows that they are at a senior level, they must provide a statement saying that they will not earn their bachelor’s degree before Spring 2015 and will participate in the 2015 Spring Symposium.
Five College of Dentistry awards will be given. Awardees will be selected by the College of Dentistry’s Research Committee and the Associate Dean for Research. The student and faculty mentor will be notified of the selection by the end of March, 2015.
Expectations and Requirements during the University Scholars Program
Students must begin their research at the start of the 2015 summer semester (an exact time commitment should be discussed with student mentors prior to submitting an application). Research must be conducted for the entire summer semester, and must continue throughout the 2015-2016 academic year. The College of Dentistry offers a 1-3 hour general topics (IDH4905) course during the summer while working on their scholars’ project. Students may register for this course in the College of Dentistry’s Office of Education (273-5950, D3-011, Dental Tower).
• Students must complete the online profile and project description form at http://www.scholars.ufl.edu/ and have their photo taken by August 1, 2015, as required by the USP program.
• Students must be in good standing to receive the second portion of the stipend in late September. To be in good standing, the USP program should have all profile information and a positive progress report from the faculty mentor.
• Students must maintain a current e-mail account and be informed about updates for the USP on that e-mail account.
• Students must complete all requirements for both the College of Dentistry and the UF Scholars Program. Any requirements set by the college are in addition to those required by the UF Scholars Program.
More information may be obtained from the College of Dentistry’s Office of Research by calling (352) 294-5444 or by email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Participating Faculty Members and University Scholars Program.